Monday, April 3, 2017


An Emerging Nurse Educator


Nurse educators have a unique opportunity to incorporate technology into their teaching strategies to promote effective learning. It is an exciting time in the world of academia where a shift from previous strategies are now enhanced through technology. Through this innovation, nurse educators are granted the position to combine teaching strategies to accommodate a variety of learning styles. I feel very excited and grateful to be able to participate as an educator throughout this transition. Lecture has become a teaching strategy of the past and has been enhanced through the use of simulation and online/collaborative learning, just to name a few. Technology is now interwoven throughout nursing curricula as a way to keep up with the constant changes occurring in healthcare today. The article here displays the Institute of Medicine’s (IOM’s) landmark study, “The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Care,”  and its recommendations for the nursing profession. I would be a disservice to not include technology in nursing curriculum as it would not effectively prepare nurses to enter the field upon completion of their degree.

My role will be that of a facilitator and I will guide students through the evolving science of nursing. With a student-centered pedagogy, students and educators can collaborate to create a supportive and successful atmosphere to promote learning. The site here provides insight to the benefits of a student centered pedagogy. Educators are facilitators and students are responsible for their success. When I imagine myself as an educator, I think of someone who must be creative and flexible. I will attempt to be as accommodating to a variety of learning styles and be creative to implement new teaching strategies to engage students. For higher learning to occur, students must remain engaged. It is my role as an educator to modify my teaching strategies to help students become successful in class.

With all of these technological advancements, I see a changing idea of the concept of a classroom. Through the use of technology, education can occur anywhere. It is no longer limited to certain times and meeting places. Technology has provided a unique opportunity to bring together students despite their physical locations. I feel that technology will be beneficial to students and contribute to their preparation towards becoming competent nurses. I am looking forward to collaborating with students and allowing them to flourish in the field of nursing.





1 comment: